My passion is helping the world and all the people in it which includes caring for the environment. I am working to become more sustainable and having less waste. As I am currently going back to school and moving into my apartment, I have found some great sustainable alternatives to everyday products!
- Beeswax Wrap. Beeswax Wrap is used as alternative to plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or plastic baggies. It can be reused for about a year. I would love to get this to wrap up my fruits and vegetables when I don’t use the whole thing.
- Bamboo Toothbrush. I know last year I went through at least five toothbrushes. Having a bamboo toothbrush is such a simple way to avoid having plastic waste!
- Market Bag. As a college student, I will be on a very tight budget this year. I plan on shopping every week for just what I need that week, and I will be buying as little as possible. I won’t be buying more than can fit into one market bag! So forget the plastic, take a reusable bag with you.
- Reusable Straws. You have most definitely heard about these already. They can be made of bamboo, glass, or stainless steel. This makes so much sense to purchase. Instead of having to keep buying straws, just use the same couple over and over again! Just like any other utensil you would use!
- Paperless Towels. Now you can buy special paperless paper towels… or I say just use a rag. Or even buy a few hand towels you like and use them specifically to clean up messes like you would a paper towel. I guarantee you buying a few towels will be cheaper than continuously buying paper towels. Plus they are prettier!
That’s all I got! Taking these few steps is a good start on your sustainable journey, and a great way to save money. Wish me luck as I personally try to incorporate these tips into my new apartment life!